Transitioning to preschool can be challenging for some children and their parents. Whether this is your child’s first time in preschool, or he/she is beginning another year with new teachers and children, you may be wondering how you can help your child. Below we have listed some tips that may help with beginning preschool:
Before school starts:
- Talk to your child about what will happen: Tell them about all the things that are similar between their home environment or daycare and the preschool. Show them some of the activities they can expect to participate in.
- Go to the preschool before school starts: Introduce your child to their teacher and show them the classroom they will spend time in. Let your child explore and get familiar with the new environment.
On the first day of school:
- Leave your child in a reassuring manner: Make sure to say goodbye in a loving and comforting way. Do not sneak out hoping they won’t see you, as it can make your child feel abandoned.
- Make your farewell consistent and predictable: If you consistently say goodbye and leave shortly after, your child will soon learn that this is the new routine and will be more at ease.
- Remember to stay calm yourself: The more comfortable you are during the transition, the more comfortable your child will be.
Click here for more tips!