With summer in full swing, make the most use of the good weather and engage in some physical activities with your child!
Here are some ideas for each age group:
- Have your child play outside with siblings, pets, or other children.
- Go out for a walk and allow your child to spend some time walking beside you (instead of having them sit on the stroller the entire time).
- Play hide-and-seek.
- Allow your child to crawl, walk, or run around in a safe space (supervised).
- Take your child to ride a bicycle (don’t forget the helmet!)
- Play with a ball: catching, throwing, bouncing, and kicking it
- Take your child for a swim
- Organize a treasure hunt
- Take a walk as a family after dinner
Click here for more ideas.
Tips to remember:
- Make physical activity fun and engaging for the entire family!
- Gain input from your child about their preferences – give your child a few options for activities you can do together and have them pick their favorite.
- Limit the amount of TV time – no more than 1 to 2 hours per day.
- Lead by example – show your child you enjoy engaging in physical activity.
How to help your child avoid breathing problems during exercise:
- Ask your pediatrician to recommend an activity tailored to your child’s capabilities.
- Always speak with your child’s doctor before starting any new physical activity.
Click here for more information on exercising and asthma